Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sometimes I Forget Why I Love New York....

and just as that happens i'm reminded again.

A days worth of examples.

1) On the way to work (approximately 8:00 AM) as i trudge the same path to the subway i'm cognizant of the new faces that come with a new neighborhood. There's a guy i've not seen before walking his dog. He caught my eye for a sec as do most men with their fair share of tattoos but thats not why he was memorable. Literally as I walked by, his dog drops a massiveee two. like three human twos right there on the street. I hurry past but the potent scent lingers. ... Happy Wednesday...

2) I'm standing on the platform oat 145th st waiting for my chaffer...or the downtown A train, whatever you want to call it. My 6. head is tucked in a book as its too late to be starting conversations with strangers. I glance up briefly and see a decent looking man across the platform waiting for the uptown train. Avert my eyes, and i'm back at my book. I feel a tap on my shoulder. Same guy. He's missed his train and walked over to my platform to introduce himself and ask what i was reading. The standard "where are you from", "what do you dos" are exchanged. As quickly as it starts, it ends but the introduction is refreshing.

3) I'm waking across town from West 4th to my humble abode. I make it to about Bleeker and broadway and i see a homeless man strait chillin on this midsummer night (Bigups! mr shakespeare). Feet kicked up, leaned back on his cardboard couch with a hand rolled cigarette hanging off his lip. pause. with his CELLPHONE in his hand engrossed in whatever tomfoolery he was engaged in...PLUGGED into an outdoor storefront outlet. Just a regular day recharging the batteries. Please note...last time i checked, cell phones required a billing address and last i check, shelters do not allow theur tenants to use the shelter address as their permanent resident address. so, pray tell...how is this possible.

so like i said, i love new york

OTHER REASONS NYC IS TO LEGIT TO QUIT






AND SOON TO COME...





What other city could pull this off. It's the biggest street ball stage, meets the MECCA of organized basketball meets the epicenter of NY...bright lights and all.

1 comment:

  1. fact: i am on the uptown A at around 2:30 on a thursday.... man gets on the train and says :Ladies and gentlemen I am sorry to bother you... my name is Homeless Ed; you can call me homeless for short..." need i go on?

    ReplyDelete